Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hello 2010

Happy Holidays! I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas and I wish you all a prosperous new year. I managed to survive my first Christmas away from my family in my twenty-three and a half years of life. Although I miss my family terribly, especially during this season, I rejoice that I have to opportunity to celebrate the birth of Christ and the coming of 2010 in a new culture. I will admit that it never really felt like Christmas, mainly because it is summertime here and the holiday certainly is not as commercialized as it is in the US (which is quite refreshing, actually). It was a new experience to barbecue in December (or braai, as it is called in South Africa), and a new experience to eat Christmas dinner outside potluck-style. Despite the differences in the weather, Christmas here is a time to spend with family and close friends just as it is at home. My heartfelt thanks goes out to my South African friends that made the Christmas season enjoyable. It has been a blessing to meet so many great people within the Church and in my neighborhood of Central Western Jabavu, Soweto.

 As the sun is setting on 2009 and rising on 2010, a year that promises exciting things for both myself and for the country of South Africa, I wish to look back on 2009 and reflect on how I got to this point. The past year has, without a doubt, been the most monumental one of my life. I graduated from college, worked a great job at a community health center in Bellingham, set foot on four different continents, and above all else, became a part of the wonderful ELCA Young Adults in Global Mission program that send me to this place halfway around the world. The year has found me shivering on the summit of Mt. Fuji and sweating in the sun of the mountain kingdom of Lesotho. I have met many wonderful people, many of whom I know I will be friends with for life. My career ambitions have changed, as has my outlook on life. Indeed, 2009 has been a year of changes and surprises, but I could not be happier to be where I am today.

 At the beginning of 2009, just about one year ago today, I had only begun to think about filling out the application for this Young Adults in Global Mission program that I had recently discovered. Just before then, I had my medical school application halfway completed and was about to move forward in the process of becoming a medical professional. And although I had already decided that I should take a year off before applying to medical school to make sure that is what I wanted to do and to build my resume, that was still where my sights were set. It is funny to see where I ended up. I am not in medical school. I am not in some job really related to my Biochemistry degree. I am a Lutheran missionary in Soweto, South Africa. The Lord has a sense of humor to be sure, and works in mysterious ways.

 Although I cannot say exactly what 2010 will bring, I am certain that it will be an important year for many. Those here in South Africa can hardly believe that 2010 is finally here. The upcoming FIFA World Cup, of course, is on everyone’s minds. Road crews and construction workers are working frantically to get everything ready. For about a month, starting in June, the Republic of South Africa will be at the center of the world’s attention. Just yesterday I traveled past Soweto’s Soccer City Stadium, which will be hosting the opening match between Bafana Bafana (the nickname for South Africa’s national team) and Mexico, as well as the final match. I smiled to myself thinking about how that stadium, which is beautiful on its own, will be the focal point of the entire planet in just a few short months. Although some have gone into panic mode because of all the work to still do, I think this country that has adopted me will be fantastic hosts.

 Ironically, the Winter Olympics will be held virtually in my own backyard in February, so 2010 is an important year for Vancouver, BC as well…

 I still have just under seven months of service here, but it is difficult to not look to July 20, 2010. That is the day I must say farewell this beautiful place and all of the great friends I have made before boarding the plane for my long journey home. More importantly though, that is when my mission work really starts. It is then I will be able to really share my experience. I have already seen, heard, and learned so much in my four months here and I am sure the trend will continue. I have a feeling that the next seven months will pass in the blink of an eye. I will try to absorb all that I can.

 What will the year 2010 bring? We cannot say for certain, but I am optimistic that it will be another great year for me. There are many things unknown, but I do know that I will be living in South Africa for almost seven more months, experiencing the World Cup in on way or another (hopefully, hopefully attending a match or two), and making my return home to be reunited with my family, friends, Mexican food, quality microbrews, my record player/vinyls, Starbucks, salmon, sushi, and, well, I think you get the idea. I will come back a changed person, perhaps not in obvious ways, but I cannot deny that my life has changed a fair amount already. Whatever happens this year, I hope I can look back on 2010 and think, “Wow! What a year!”

 Blessings to everyone during this holiday season, and GO TEAM USA!


2 comments:

  1. Michael,

    We're so overwhelmed by the magnitude of your positive experiences during your mission. Also, every time we read your blog postings, we are impressed by your ability to explain in such captivating ways all that you are going through. You "speak" well. Very well. We hope that you'll consider a speaking tour, to share your special year with others. Bless you, young Michael. We look forward to your return to our country.

    Love,
    Cheryl and Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are enjoying your parents visit. How exciting for them to see first hand what you are exeperiencing. We are looking forward to hearing about their trip.

    Marlys and Dave

    ReplyDelete