Saturday, December 5, 2009

I wrote a new blog entry! Is it?

As a typical unilingual American (not something I’m proud of), I am glad that English is widely spoken in South Africa. Although immersion in an environment where another language is being used certainly is conducive to learning that language, I admit that I would have a hard time if required to learn Sesotho or isiZulu in order to perform my missionary duties (although I’m doing my best to at least learn the proper greetings). However, it is important to remember that the English spoken in South Africa is not what we would call American English. I have heard it called British Imperial English, as South Africa was a part of the British Empire much more recently that the United States was. There are also cultural colloquialisms that take some getting used to, some with subtle differences to the American equivalents, and others that leave newcomers scratching their heads. So without further ado, here are a few examples of such phrases that are common in South Africa:

 Is it?

This is a phrase that is regularly used. It is the American equivalent to “really?” Sometimes it makes perfect sense. For example, “My house is down the street.” The response: “Is it?” Other times it is more of a head scratcher: “I saw a zebra today.” Response: “Is it?” The next time someone tells you something new say, “Is it?” no matter if it makes sense to you or not.

 How’s it?

This is an easy one. It is an easy way to say “How are you?” or “How’s it going?” Although I have yet to figure out how to properly respond. Do they really want the story of how you are doing at that moment or is it just a simple greeting? I usually say, “Fine, how are you?” It has worked so far. It could be like when someone says, “What’s up?” in the States. It is more a cool way to say hi than an actual question.

 Just now

The literary meaning is no different, but culturally the idea of “just now” is very different than in the United States. It is not a secret that the rest of the world does not share the same sense of time as we Americans do. This variation can be both a relief and a great source of frustration. To the wonderful people of South Africa, “Just now” could be better understood as, “whenever I feel like it.” This could mean anywhere between a few minutes and a few days, or in some cases never. I have spent an entire Saturday waiting for a friend who was coming to see me “just now.” It is best just to keep a good book close at hand.

 Now now

Similar to “just now,” the meaning of “now now” varies depending on the region. I think maybe “now now” is a shorter amount of time than “just now.” However, since “just now” can mean pretty much any length of time, “now now” is up for much interpretation. I was told earlier today that my neighbors would come see me “now now.” I got hungry two hours later and went to make dinner (or supper as they would say). So “now now” pretty much is the same as “just now,” only a little different.

 This side/that side

I love this one. This often used instead of “here” or “there.” The great thing is that “that side” can be anywhere from the other side of the room to the United States of America, halfway around the world. A parent can tell their child to “go play that side” meaning across the room so they do not knock something over or they can ask me, “how are things that side?” meaning at home in the US. I often have to clarify what exactly I am being asked.

 These are just a few of the phrases I hear frequently in my day-to-day life. I find these sayings to be quite endearing most of the time though at times a little confusing. There are also many different words for things that come from British influence and that of other regions. The back of the car is the boot and not the trunk. One doesn’t pick someone or something up, rather the item or person is fetched. You don’t call someone you phone them. The time is half past twelve and not twelve thirty, and when you ask for the bathroom people look at you funny and wonder why you would take a bath at such a time. Here, they prefer the not-so-discreet term toilet, as if there was any doubt. I’m learning slowly but surely.

 So while I’m trying to learn bits and pieces of the Sesotho language while mastering the subtleties of South African English while this side, I hope everyone that side is enjoying reading my blog. You can all look forward to another entry just now, or is it now now?

 

1 comment:

  1. I can name a few people on this side who already seem to grasp the deeper meaning of "just now." I keep a magazine with me at all times because I always seem to be waiting for somebody.
    Ike

    ReplyDelete